Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Masking- Danni style

It's been a while since I've done a tutorial so I thought I would do one on a technique I get questions on often~ Masking. 

Next to paper piecing, I think this is one of my favorite techniques as it allows your stamps to be so versatile!


Your first step is to stamp your image, here I used the super sweet Iris, from the Spring Flora Fairies.



Set that image aside for a moment. Your next step is to stamp the same image again, but this time on a post-it note, if your image will fit, or on scrap paper. Iris fits onto a post-it note so that is what I'm using here. When using a post-it note, be sure that some of your image is stamped on the edge where the "sticky stuff" is. 




After you have your image stamped on the post-it note or scrap paper, carefully cut it out.



Once you have your image cut out, then you place it directly over the other image you have stamped on your cardstock. The post-it notes should stick enough but you can add a removable adhesive if needed, same with if you used scrap paper, use a removable adhesive to hold the cut out image on top.

Be sure that there isn't any adhesive showing--make it hidden!!




From here you can let your creativity flow!!


You can ink around the edge of the image-


 


You can use a template/stencil--like the awesome Crafter's Workshop Templates- here I used the Cosmic Swirl- (I sponged ink onto the template and then sprayed it with Maya Road Iridescent Pearl Mist for some shimmer)

 


Or you can stamp another image next to your original one- here I put the cute Pansella next to Iris

 

When you're done, remove the post-it note/scrap paper and finish your creation! I always save my "mask" so that it's ready to be used another time!


Hope you enjoyed this tutorial ( I will share all the finished creations in the next few days) and hope it got some creativity flowing in you!!


We'd love to see your masked SCACD creations!! Just leave us a link in the comments!!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I just started masking and have stamped over a stamp, never thought to sponge color around it, love the idea!
Thanks!

Tracey Brossart said...

Great tut! Love doing masking and the flawless affect it leaves! :D

Hugz,
xx Tracey xx

Cathy at Paper Garden Projects said...

Great tutorial Danni - I love masking

Colleen Holmes said...

awesome tutorial Danni! thank you for sharing! Very pretty end result!

Leanne said...

Your secret is out! Love it Danni! Thanks for sharing! Gr8 job!
;)

Michelle VP said...

Love the variety of ways you showed for masking. Great tutorial! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this technique! I just never use it :( Can you please tell me what kind of scissors you use to do your detailed cutting? Thanks so much. Kathy H

Related Posts with Thumbnails