Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spotlighting~ Danni Style

It's my turn to do a tutorial again!! This time I decided to show the spotlighting technique.
There are two ways that I have seen this done so I thought I'd show you both ways.
For the first way, you leave your image uncolored so that the spotlighting really highlights the area you want to "pop".
Stamp your image once for your main image, and once so you can use it for the spotlight.


Next you need to color in the part you want to "pop". On this IBFS Fairy with butterfly, I chose the butterfly as my main focal point--the part I'm going to spotlight. (Be sure to go beyond the area so when you cut it out it's all colored)

After you have it colored then you need to cut it out either with a punch or nestablities or some other cutting system. Keep in mind you will need to have two sizes--one for the spotlight image and one for the black/dark mat. I used nestablities for my example as I didn't have any circle punches large enough.


Once you have the colored image and your mat, put them together.


Then you will take your full image and adhere this "spotlight" onto it, keeping it as close to the place in the image where it belongs as possible.


You can now finish your card. I've found it most effective when you keep your card simple so the spotlighted area really gets the wow!
For the second spotlight technique you do everything the same except that you color the entire image in duller, pastel or light colors and then have the spotlight area really bright to "wow" them. Or even just to bring the focus to a certain area.
Here's some cards showing both techniques.

Hope this made sense and hope you enjoyed it. Be sure to check back often to see what we have in store for you!!

Danni

10 comments:

Christine Riley said...

Fantastic tutorial Danni! I've never tried this before but after seeing your tutorial, I definitely will :) Great job!
Hugs, Christine

Stressed Stamper said...

wow, never done that before..will have to have a go...

Sarah

Willow said...

Another great tutorial Danni and I loved how your image, and your card, turned out!!! Thanks so much!!! Hugs...Willow

Marti - Pez-A-Doodle Design Studios said...

hi danni! wonderful tutorial! i have not done spotlighting in so long - makes me want to do one!
hugs
M

Maria Matter said...

OMGosh, thank you Danni for making this technique so "do-able"!
Blessings, Maria

Rach said...

this is a fantastic tutorial thank you for sharing.xx

Susan said...

Great job, Danni! Love how they came out. I'm going to have this a shot!

Sharon Caudle said...

Great tutorial, Danni!! I'm so new to stamping that all these techinques are very new and very interesting to me! Great job with the directions! You made it very clear and easy to follow!

jami {sgtStamper} said...

Fantastic tutorial Danni!! I have never tried this technique...I love how it looks. I'll have to have a go at it!

Maria Jesus said...

Thanks for the tutorial, :)

MJ
http://talkingtruth.typepad.com/ourfamilycorner/

Related Posts with Thumbnails